Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bandhakopir Ghonto ( Bengali Cabbage Curry )


Bandhakopir Ghonto 


Every weekend I keep hearing from my friends – the ones who still don’t have kids yet, about the exciting things they do. The pubs, the dances, the parties …. Somewhere I too feel bound to be out doing something helluva interesting and fun. Alas! I feel I’m always at a loss to quite know what it is.

I can’t find enough kid friendly things to do – probably which look as good as the pictures people post on Facebook.

And whatever interesting I do, I can never share the picture. Somehow I can never have her pose…and the moment I leave to click, she behaves like a cabbage. Running around in mysterious a circle.



Tai hobe tahle (Cabbage it is.)

The cabbage behavior is unruly. The cooked vegetable is not. It’s timid, mild and extremely yum and healthy.


Bandhakopir Ghonto 

Ingredients 

½ of a whole big cabbage (makes around 21/2 cups shredded cabbage)
½ cup green peas
1 potato
tbsb oil
1 tsp ghee to top

Spices

½ tsp Turmeric powder
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp Cumin powder
1” ginger julienned
1tsp coriander powder
2 green chillies (optional)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste

Method

Heat oil in a pan, now add cumin seeds, hear it splutter. Add all spices except the green chilies , cumin powder and garam masala.

Fry and now add the ginger. Brown slightly. Add the cabbage, green peas and potato. Lightly fry. Add around1/2 cup of water, cover and cook till its well done and slightly mushy.

Once done, Top it with cumin powder, garam masala and 1 tsp ghee for the divine smell.
For Variations :

You can looks at fellow bloggers ;
1) Sanoli's Kitchen 
2)Bong Mom's Cookbook 
3)Sayak's Kitchen

2 comments:

Swathi said...

Delicious cabbage curry. Yes kids are like that.

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Hi Neel,
After receiving your message on my space, now I come to your space first time and see you linked this recipe to my space, very glad to see that. I think you are Bengali too. you have a wonderful space, so please keep visiting to each others. Enjoy blogging!

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This