Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lucknawi - Mutton Shami Kabab

Lucknawi - Mutton Shami Kabab


Bored by the banal city life we left for Agra- almost on a whim. Packed duffel bags , booked a room and we were well on our way to explore the rather known richness of the Mughal empire.....beautifully reposed in the banks of river Yamuna, Agra is one of the oldest cities in the country. Although I have seen the TAJ MAHAL many times before, it always leaves me awestruck. Traipisng through the hot stone terrace and uncovered mausoleums, which leave my soles almost hot and parched, I could feel tribulations of the bygone era, life was after all hard. I think. However the Mughal kitchen is what brings my sensory nerves alive and ticking ...the vastness of the Mughal kitchen, the poetic verses on evocative aromas and intoxicating platters of fine food. This is all what I'm yearning to talk about today ...

Although I have to admit that I cut short on the slow cooking techniques many a times, this is not the royal rasoi(kitchen). And talking of the royal kitchen, if you start thinking that I work chef quality gas ranges with a shining chimney atop to hush the smells away.ha! in my dreams.For now my kitchen is full of love and belly full of desires.No-No-dont get me wrong. Unlike most -designer gear is not for me, I dream of a kitchen with shiny breakfast table, dainty pretty plates and sprightly red cabinets.

But for now , I make peace with the utilitarian.

So lets get working in my standard utilitarian kitchen - where the only thing which is in abundance is zeal to make good food and the undying spirit to eat...

Mutton Shami Kabab

Yields 10-12 kababs


Ingredients for kababs:


Lamb (finely minced) – 500 gms
Bengal gram (chana dal) – 200 cup
Onion – one, diced small
Ginger – 1 inch piece, chopped fine
Garlic –7-8, chopped fine
Fresh coriander leaves – a scant handful torn from a bunch, chopped fine
Lemon juice – of 1/2 a lemon
Egg, beaten – 1
Ghee (clarified butter) to shallow fry
Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

Spices for kababs:


Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Green cardamoms – 2
Cinnamon – 1/5 stick or 1/4 tsp powdered
Cloves – 2-3
Red chilli powder – to taste
Bengali Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
peppercorns black – powdered 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon


Steps : 

1) Wash the chana dal and soak it for a few hours 
2) In a pan ,  roast all dry spices and grind. 
3) Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add the Chana dal and minced meat with grind spices.Add about a cup of warm water, salt to taste. Cook  till all the water in no more.Add the rest of the spices.
4) Grind all to a fine paste . 
5) In a bowl, beat the egg with a pinch of salt.
6)To make the kababs, take a palm-sized portion of ground meat in your hand. Roll into a ball then slightly flatten it. Repeat the procedure
- Heat the oil in a pan. Press to flatten the  kababs, then dip each into the egg mixture and place into the ghee to shallow fry. 

For plating up you will need a few lemon slices and onion juliens. they work the best together:

 Once the kababs are done, you can easily turn them into a favorite Luchbox recipe by placing it inside a Roti and rolling it all in . Here's how :
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Deeba PAB said...

How interesting and so nicely done. Love the touch of Bengali garam masala and the lunch box wrap! YUM!!

team ecoSycle said...

Thanks Deeba. I have to admit that your pictures are the best - I can never ever dream to take such droolicious pictures :)

Asiya Omar said...

Lucknowi Kabab looks really delicious.

Thanks Neel for visiting and linking the tasty mutton shami kabab to my event.Use of logo helps in spreading the word.

Participate in My First Event - Feast of Sacrifice Event
http://www.asiyama.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-first-event-feast-of-sacrifice.html

Anonymous said...

Yummy, i have tried the same recipe see http://recipespassion.blogspot.com/ thanks for sharing!

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This